How Do you Fix It? Your iPad Is Frozen or Not Responding
Is your iPad frozen, or keeps freezing, or is it locked up? Seeing that your iPad is unresponsive to any touch on its screen?
iPads hardly stop responding for many reasons, often frustrating, especially if you’re in the middle of something important.
If your iPad keeps freezing, give a few of these quick tips a try and look if they resolve your issues.
- Restart or force restart your iPad
- Place on a charger and let iPad to charge, without any work, for at least one hour
- Close all open apps and restart
- Reset All Settings
- Restore iPad
iPad Frozen Tip #1: Restart
Try restarting your iPad. To do that, press and hold this button Sleep/Wake when the iPad freezes until a red slider looks on the screen. Slide the slider to trigger the shutdown method.
To switch back on, press and hold the button Sleep/Wake until the Apple logo appears.
Are you using iOS 11+?
- For peoples using iOS 11 and above, there’s another way to shut down using a software command.
- Go to Settings > General
- Scroll down and choose Shut Down
- Slide to power off
iPad Frozen Tip #2: Force Reset
If the first tip didn’t work or your iPad keeps freezing, try resetting your iPad–also called a Hard Restart or Force Restart.
To fix restart your frozen iPad or iPhone device:
- On an iPhone X Series, iPhone 8, or iPad with no Home Button: Press and fast release that Volume Up button, press and release the volume down. Next, press this power button on the side and top of the device to the Apple logo appears
- On an iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least 20 seconds till you see the Apple logo
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad by Home Button, and iPod Touch: Press and hold both the buttons Sleep/Wake and Home for at least 20 seconds until you look at the Apple logo
Some of our readers suggested that performing tip#2 on older iPhone or iPad models asked them to hold the two buttons below for about 30 seconds.
So if the first time leaves and your iPad is yet locked up, try it again with a 30 second hold.
Home Button Not Working?
- Please wait until the battery is completely discharged and then plug it in to reboot
- Or restart utilizing Assistive Touch for a virtual home button
iPad Frozen Tip #3: Charge
If the over tips don’t work, the issue could be that the battery is completely depleted. Plug it into a wall outlet to a while and look if your battery holds a charge.
Please see that it can take up to 20 minutes of charging before this iPad starts up.
Ideally, plug in your device and get it to charge for up at least 1 hour!
Don’t See The Charging Screen?
- If, in an hour, you don’t view the charging icon on your screen or you view the connect to power screen, check this charging port on your iPad, USB cable, and power adapter
- Make sure everything is plugged in securely, free of debris, and not damaged
- Try an other cable and power adapter
iPad Frozen Tip #4: If possible Close Apps
An extra tip that often works is stopping all your open apps and then restarting.
How To Close Apps on iOS Devices: iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
- Double press this Home Button or swipe up the Home Gesture Bar
- The action should open the app switcher
- Swipe up off this top of your screen entire the app shows till you only view your Home Screen
- Restart your device
iPad Frozen Tip #5: Reset Settings
Sometimes some random setting is getting in the process, so let’s reset all these settings back to factory defaults.
How To Reset All Settings at an iPad
- That is normally the last resort as it resets everything your personalized features back to factory defaults
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All
- The resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms
- Resetting all settings, including reverts whole your personalized and customized features like wallpapers and accessibility settings back to factory defaults.
- Performing this action is not impact any of your device data, including photos, documents, texts, and another files
- You want to reconfigure these settings once your iPhone and iDevice restarts
No Time? Check Out Video Tips to Fix a Frozen iPad!
If you are having still problems with your iPad freezing, try connecting the device to your computer and launching iTunes. Then choose Restore.
That may delete some of the newer items saved to your iPad that you haven’t yet synced to the cloud, yet it will also stop iPad freezes.
If problems continue, you might need to use iOS Recovery Mode or DFU Mode.
Once you take your iPad back to working condition, it’s a good backup plan.
To back up your iPad to iCloud.
- Go to Settings > Apple ID Profile
- Tap iCloud > iCloud Backup > Back Up Now
To back up your iPad with iTunes.
- Connect your iPad to a PC next open up iTunes
- Tap the iPad device icon near the top left-hand
- Select Summary
- In the Backups section, select This computer and Back Up Now