Error Code 0xc0000005 could be created by various reasons in a Windows PC like cheap or low RAM, corrupt registry files, malware infection, wrong hardware configuration, etc. It’s one of the various generally seen error that pops up in a Windows system mainly in three different situations,
Windows Installation Error
- The error prevents the Windows OS installation and is often related to hardware issues temporary with the RAM either corrupt hard drive due to bad sectors.
- Error: Installation Windows encountered an unexpected error ….
Access Violation Error
- The error occurs when a Windows program tries to access a location or data from a location not assigned. This can happen with any Windows application due to registry issues, defective RAM, corrupt drivers, virus infection, incorrect security updates, etc.
- Error: Exception: Access violation error (0xc0000005) at.
Application unable to start
- That error pops up when you launch an application installed on your Windows PC, such as Mozilla, VLC, game, Chrome browser, etc.
- Re-installation doesn’t help fix the issue as some invalid cases, unsigned, or incomplete DLL files allow the software to run on the Windows platform.
- Error: This application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)
This error code 0xc0000005 can lead to data loss, both directly or indirectly, if not solved fast. But trouble not in-case of data loss. Download Data Recovery software for a fast recovery of your missed data.
The error could more pop up when you work to install Windows updates. Still, you don’t need to worry when you get these errors as they can be quickly solved, and you are not the primary or only one to take the error.
Did You Know: Data can also be recovered from a corrupt Windows PC, putting you at risk of a breach. So dry, clean your PC, and even delete undeletable files to secure total privacy. Hither’s wherewith.
1. Check RAM
Turn off the system and restore the RAM with other RAM. You may too swap RAM slots and then boot the system. Check if the error continues. The switching of RAM is needed when there is physical damage to RAM connectors or hardware.
Moreover, run a memory diagnostic test on your RAM, utilizing Memtest86+ to fix the issue.
2. Fix Registry
Defective registry files lead to severe issues in this system, including the error code. If you own a backup of your registry files, you can restore your system’s registry and fix the difficulty. But, modifying registry files is a little complex and can be risky for the system. Any invalid or inappropriate alteration can lead to serious system results. For, backup your current registry files before doing any change. To fix the registry, perform the following steps:
- Press ‘Windows + R’, type Regedit, also hit ‘Enter.’
- Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\NewVersion\Windows\AppInit_Dlls
- Double tick LoadAppInit_DLLs plus modify the value of 1 to 0
- Click ‘OK’ to verify that changes.
- Stop the Registry Editor window and restart the system.
Check if this error yet pops up when you try to launch an application.
3. Run SFC
SFC or System File Checker can assist fix Windows system file corruption that might be causing this error. Running SFC scan is easy,
- Press Windows key and type cmd
- Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘Run as Administrator.’ A command prompt window appears
- Type SFC /scannow and hit this Enter key.
- Let the SFC scan to end (It will automatically detect corrupt system files and will replace them among new of the cache)
4. Turn off DEP
Data Execution or DEP Prevention is a Windows in-built system-level memory security feature that protects your system from failure caused by viruses and different security warnings. Still, any programs are no cooperating with the DEP feature in Windows and cause a 0xc0000005 error. To turn DEP off,
- Sign in on Windows as Administrator
- Press ‘Windows+R’ plus type sysdm.cpl. Hit Enter
- Click the ‘Advanced’ tab and next click that ‘Settings’ button.
- Click on the Data Execution Protection tab and click ‘Turn on DEP for each program and services except these I choose.’
- Click the ‘Add’ button and then browse also add all the executable (.exe) files causing the issue.
- Click ‘OK’
- Restart the system and try running these programs
5. Run CHKDSK Utility
A defective hard drive or corrupt sectors on the drive can also lead to error code 0x0000005. You can now run CHKDSK (check disk) utility to fix the disk corruption due to defective sectors.
Open command prompt in administrator mode also types chkdsk X: /f /r where X is the hard drive letter that wants repair and hit ‘Enter’ key.
6. Use Hardware Troubleshooter
- Press Windows key, type Troubleshooting under Search Bar, and press Enter
- In Windows 8 and later, click on ‘See All’ in the top left corner to display all built-in troubleshooters and then click at ‘Hardware and Devices’ to run the troubleshooter.
- In Windows 10, scroll down and click at ‘Hardware and Devices’ and click ‘Run the troubleshooter.’
- Wait for the troubleshooter to get the fixes. Click ‘Apply fixes’ and then restart this system.
7. Update Disk Drivers or Re-install them
Most apparently, your system already owns the latest driver. If you face some issue with the device, updating the device driver fixes the largest of it and secures that your system has the latest fix for errors and bugs.
- Click the ‘Windows’ key, type Device Manager, and click on ‘Device Manager.’
- Double-click on the Disk Drives and next right-click on the Windows, and different programs are installed.
- Select Update Driver and then click Search automatically for updated driver software in the Update Driver dialog box.
- Wait until Windows search the driver. Yet it doesn’t find a new driver download it of your disk manufacturer’s site and update it by clicking on Browse my computer for driver software in the Update Drivers dialog box.
If updating drivers doesn’t assist, try reinstalling the drivers. Right-click on the disk and select to ‘Uninstall device’ and when to restart the system. Automatically Windows re-installs drivers.
8. Restore System And Use a Data Recovery Tool
Restore System is the least option that can help you fix the error code 0xc0000005. But, System Restore works only when your system has an available restored point before the error occurred.
If not, Restore Point is available on your system, utilizes the help of a data recovery tool, and recovers lost or unavailable data of a corrupt or damaged hard drive due to defective sectors in your system. Data Recovery- Standard does one so data recovery tool the can help you recover data from a critically deficient, unavailable, damaged, formatted, and even re-formatted hard drive with only some clicks.
Error code 0xc0000005 can be prevented by implementing antivirus software, Scheduled CHKDSK scans, S.M.A.R.T. disk monitoring system, and scheduled RAM diagnostics, and by updating the system with the latest available Windows updates. But, due to this or any other error, if you ever face a data loss situation, utilize a reliable and trusted data recovery tool so as Data Recovery- Standard.
Data Recovery- Standard for Windows is an easy-to-use Windows data recovery software to get back lost documents, photos, emails, videos, and many more from HDD, USB, Memory Card, etc.