Online games like Fall Guys suffer greatly from connection errors. They not only ruin the gaming mood, but they also prevent you from continuing your ranked hot streak. Fortunately, fixing connection errors in Fall Guys is very easy.
In this article, we’ll look at all of the possible culprits for a connection error in Fall Guys, as well as ways to fix them. So, let’s get this party started.
What Causes a Connection Error in Fall Guys for Windows?
It’s very easy to log in and play Fall Guys on your computer. However, if you are unable to log in and see a connection error, the following could be the cause:
- Your internet connection is unstable or weak.
- You’re connected to a VPN or a proxy server.
- The Windows Firewall is preventing Fall Guys from accessing the internet.
Let’s get started on the fixes is fall guys cross platform now that we’ve identified all of the potential issue culprits.
1. Check Your Connection
Before making any changes to your network settings, ensure that a weak internet connection is not the issue. You can check this by going to a website that tests internet speed.
If the results show that your connection is unstable and weak, you’ll need to troubleshoot your connection. Check out our guide on network diagnostic tricks to get your connection fixed.
2. Close Network Hogging Applications from Background
Most connection errors in online games are caused by network-hogging applications running in the background. These applications consume the majority of the available bandwidth, leaving the main application (in this case, Fall Guys) with few options.
In this case, the best thing to do is to locate and close all such background applications. You can accomplish this with the assistance of the Task Manager.
To begin, launch Task Manager and look for applications using the most bandwidth.
Examining the Network section will help you find them. Keep in mind that the application uses more bandwidth the higher the network value.
Then, right-click on all such applications and select End task. After that, restart Fall Guys and check if the problem persists.
3. Temporarily Disable the Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall can interfere with Fall Guys’ operation and cause connection errors.
In this case, the solution is to temporarily disable the Windows Firewall.
Here’s how you can go about doing it:
- Type Windows Defender Firewall into the Windows Search field by pressing the Win + S hotkey, then press Enter.
- In the left sidebar, select Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both private and public network settings.
Check again to see if the problem persists. If not, turn on Windows Defender Firewall and add Fall Guys to the Windows Firewall exception list. Here’s how it works:
- Type Allow an app through Windows Firewall and then press Enter in the Windows Search field.
- Select the Allow another app option after clicking the Change settings button.
- In the window that crops up, click Browse.
4.Navigate to the installation folder for Fall Guys. If you kept the same target location during installation, it would be C:Program FilesEpic GamesFallGuys.
5. Click the Add button after choosing FallGuys client.exe.
That’s all! Fall Guys has been added to the Windows Firewall exception list.
4. Disable Any Active Proxy Servers
A connection issue may arise if you connect to a proxy server. So, disable any proxies you’re using and check to see if the problem goes away.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Open Windows Search, type Command Prompt, and then select Run as leader in the right pane.
- Type netsh winhttp reset proxy into the console, then hit Enter.
5. Connect to a Different DNS Server
Sometimes the DNS you’re using isn’t the fastest. In this case, switching to a public DNS service such as Google DNS is the best thing to do. Switching to a public DNS will ensure that you get better connectivity and performance from your internet connection.
To switch to Google DNS, follow the steps below:
- You can open the Control Panel in a variety of ways.
- Access the Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center menu.
- In the window that crops up, click on the name of your connection and select Properties.
- Click Properties after choosing either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/ IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/ IPv6).
- Select the option Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Type 188.8.131.52 in the Alternate DNS server and 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred DNS server if you are using IPv4.
- Type 2001:4860:4860::8844 in the Alternate DNS server and 2001:4860:4860::8888 in the Preferred DNS server if you are using IPv6.
- To continue, click OK.
6. Edit the Fall Guys Engine.ini File
The next thing you can try to fix the connection error in Fall Guys is to edit the Engine.ini file.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Type %localappdata% and then click OK to extend the Run dialog box by pushing the Win + R hotkeys.
- Go to EpicGamesLauncher > Saved > Configuration > Windows.
- Click the Engine with the right mouse button. Select Notepad from the context menu when opening an ini file.
- Type the following lines in the Notepad window that appears, then press Ctrl + S to save them.
[HTTP] HttpTimeout=10 HttpConnectionTimeout=10 HttpReceiveTimeout=10 HttpSendTimeout=10 [Portal.BuildPatch] ChunkDownloads=3 ChunkRetries=20 RetryTime=0.5
Launch Fall Guys and check to see if the problem persists.
7. Reset Winsock Settings
Winsock is a program that enables programs to connect to the internet using Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If there’s a thing wrong with this program, apps like Fall Guys will struggle to connect to the internet.
To fix this, you must reset the Winsock data. You can accomplish this by taking the following steps:
- As we discussed in Method 4, open Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Enter the command netsh winsock reset.
Restart your computer and check to see if the problem has been fixed.
Your Fall Guys Connection Errors, Fixed
Fall Guys, like most multiplayer games, requires an internet connection to function. However, it is useless if it cannot connect to the internet. Fortunately, it is a very common issue that can be readily fixed using the solutions listed above.